Prelim: Evaluation of Magazine Cover

1.In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products? 

My media product, which is a fashion magazine front cover, uses some conventional features of real media products, however also subverts some of these conventions at the same time. Typical conventions such as angle of gaze, masthead, coverlines and barcode are used which reflect real life media texts. In contrast to this, the shot of the model is quite close up compared to regular fashion magazines and I have also included a graphic in the form of a band going across the masthead which is only seen on specific magazines. I chose to include this as it was a good touch to my magazine just to show it was unique and slightly different to regular magazines. 

2.How did you use new media technologies in the construction and research, planning and evaluation stages?

I used various amounts of new media technologies during my research and planning stages such as Prezi, YouTube, Typeform Photoshop. I used prezi in the early research stage to explain about the theoretical media framework which sort of linked with this. I also used typeform in my research stage to find out information from my specific demographic. This was in the form of online surveys and gave a variety of answers on multiple choice questions which really helped me to get a better idea on different opinions and what sort of things the target audience was interested in. For my audience research I I filmed the whole process with a few people answering and giving in depth opinions on the questions. This was then uploaded on YouTube and put on my blog. In the final part of this whole process which was constructing the magazine cover, I used Photoshop to put all my ideas together and create the front cover.


3.What will you look to improve on for your NEA?

I think I need to improve more on time management as I felt a bit rushed to get work done especially towards the end and this meant not being able to fully check if I had included everything from the planning stage. I also feel as if I should have experimented more with my test shots and tried out different compositions to see if something else could have worked better. This would mean using more of my own time to try this but on the whole it could have possibly benefited me in the long run.



4.What have you learned about yourself from this process?

From this process I have learnt that I am able to pick up new things quite quickly and this was demonstrated from learning how to use Photoshop effectively. I like to usually include a lot of detail in my work even though it can sometimes mean that I get carried away. Photoshop was something I had never used before so I had always assumed it would be very difficult but after a while I became used to it and understood how the features worked. I do think that I enjoyed the practical work more than the theory work because it involved  more creativity and allowed me to get in touch with my creative side a lot more. Overall, I liked doing this project as I was able to not only be creative but also learn many things and incorporate them into my work.



Comments

Popular Posts